The Athletic Department provides for students in the academy a variety of varsity sports. SGA is a member of the California Interscholastic Federation (CIF), Southern Section. Players who represent SGA at the varsity level are chosen at the coaches' discretion, not only on performance and athletic ability, but also on the interest, attitude, and sportsmanship of the student athlete. The sports program includes basketball, cross-country, soccer, and volleyball.
It is the goal of the Athletic Department to develop a Christian character, as well as athletic skills. Our commitment to His excellence will be evident by the students' teamwork, work ethic, integrity, discipline, sportsmanship, humility, dependability, enthusiasm, and Christ-likeness. This goal is a cooperative effort of coaches, players, and parents.
The academic status of a student determines his/her eligibility to participate in a varsity sport. A significant time commitment is required of those who wish to participate in a varsity sport. This commitment can affect performance in other required classwork. As members of the CIF organization, there are very clear guidelines that are to be followed, especially regarding grades. The grade requirements must follow the School Board approved policy regarding grade minimums.
To enroll or participate in a varsity sport, the following regulations apply:
- Students must maintain a 2.0 GPA or higher, with no F's or Incompletes at the end of any grading period before and during the sport's season.
- Students must have satisfactory attendance and citizenship, as determined by the attendance and citizenship policies of the school.
- Students must display a Christian attitude, representative of SGA.
- Students must show a willingness to work and learn to the best of their abilities at all times.
- Students must be cooperative in all tasks, on and off the playing surfaces.
Failure to comply with the listed requirements will result in consequences explained by the coaching staff.